Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Crock Pot Sweet Carrots & Herbed Potatoes Recipe & Sophie's Kitchen Breaded Vegan Fish Fillets Reviewed


Picked up Sophie's Breaded Fish Fillets a few months ago and just got the nerve to make them tonight. I never really liked fish aside from the greasy fish pieces from Long John Silver's. I think I liked those mostly for the breading. To be honest, the thought of eating anything fishy kinda grosses me out! They are made from tvp, textured vegetable protein, which I normally avoid but the box specifically said no GMO's so I made an exception. 

what they look like uncooked

Early in the day I put carrots in one crock pot and potatoes in another as side dishes (recipes to follow). I started looking online for a tartar sauce recipe to dip the fish fillets in. Another thing I've never liked is tartar sauce, but since this one would be vegan I might not hate it. I decided on a creole remoulade sauce and boy is it tasty! I can see using this with other recipes.

Creole Remoulade Sauce

1 C nayonaisse (vegan mayo)
1/2 an onion, diced
2 green onions, diced
1 t dried parsley
1/8 C capers
1/8 C sweet pickle relish
1 1/2 T lemon juice
1 t salt
1/2 t hot sauce
1 t dijon mustard

Mix all in food processor. Refrigerate at least 3 hours so flavors can come together.





Sweet Carrots
4-5 diced organic carrots
3 T brown sugar
3 T Earth Balance Margarine  

Put all ingredients into crock pot, stir and cook on low for 6-8 hours. You can drizzle them with agave right before serving. Either way, they'll taste like candy! 




Crock Pot Herbed Potatoes

6 medium organic potatoes, peeled and quartered
fresh basil and fresh rosemary, to taste (I like a lot!) cut up into small pieces
1/8 cup nutritional yeast
veggie parmesan (for sprinkling, optional)
1/4 C water
1 t each of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, parsley
1/2 t each dried dill and season salt
3 garlic cloves (minced)
4 T Earth Balance Margarine

Place all ingredients into crock pot (except parmesan if using) and cook on low for  6-8 hours until tender. Sprinkle with parmesan before serving.


Finished Dinner (Serves 2)


Fish Fillets with Creole Remoulade Sauce, Sweet Carrots, Herbed Potatoes and Banana/Zucchini Bread. I really enjoyed the fish fillets. From what I can remember, they don't taste like fish. So, if you are expecting fish, you'll be disappointed. They remind me more of a chicken fillet. The box said to cook 8-10 minutes in a 400 degree oven, mine needed 15 to get done in the center. The texture was nice, the breading was crispy and the sauce I made really set them off. I would definitely buy these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment