Saturday, February 20, 2010

Soyatoo and Product Review of Amy's Tamale Verde

It was a pretty nice day in Southern Ohio today. The temperature finally made it to 40 and it hasn't been that high forever! I tend to get depressed this time of year waiting for spring to come. It's close I hope.





I'm home alone tonight so I decided to try a new frozen entree from Amy's called Tamale Verde. It's made with organic corn masa, tomatillos and black beans, and comes with rice. The meal is vegan and gluten free. It contains 10 grams of fat, 780 mg of sodium (yikes!) and 7 grams of protein

I don't recall ever having Tamale Verde so this is new for me. The rice is pretty good, no complaints there. The tamale shell itself tastes exactly like corn bread, exactly. It fell apart which made me a little sad. The tamale is filled with black beans, onions, zucchini, corn and peppers and was all around pretty good. Now, for the sauce... yummy. The sauce was the best part but there wasn't nearly enough of it for me. I'd buy it by the jar if Amy sold it that way.

All in all, this was a pretty good frozen entree but it definately needed about 3 times as much sauce. I may buy this again.



After I finished I still felt a little hungry and wanted something chocolatey so I turned to my old stand-by Ahlaska Hot Chocolate . I usually put Sweet & Sara Marshmallows in my cocoa but I had some Soyatoo whipped cream in the fridge that seemed like a nice topper. I love soyatoo on pie but I did NOT like it in my hot chocolate. Can't really describe what it tasted like but it was unpleasant for me. Since I'm low on almond milk I didn't get a chance to make another cup with marshmallows in it. So, I'm left feeling disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment