Friday, February 26, 2010

My first Seitan Sausages & Chickpea Pasta Soup

I've been battling a cold for over a week now. All that's left of it is a nasty cough, so tonight I was craving some hot, spicy soup. I chose Chickpea & Pasta Soup and it did seem to clear my cough a bit temporarily. The recipe is shown below. Add other veggies if you have them on hand.

Since I've been sick my favorite past time has been surfing the internet for veg recipes or recipes I can veganize. Out of my huge stack, seitan sausages made it to the top of the list.



Just finished a batch of seitan sausages and I am so proud! I'm not posting the recipe yet because I think they need more flavor. The texture is good but they need more taste appeal. I'm encouraged enough to keep working on these.



Chickpea and Pasta Soup


If you don't like spicy, this won't be for you. It isn't super hot but more than some people will want. It turns out like a cross between veggie chili and veggie soup.

4 cups vegetable broth
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 (14 oz) can stewed tomatoes
3/4 c chopped onions
3/4 cup chopped celery
3-4 cloves minced garlic
1 T italian seasoning
1/8 t crushed red pepper
1 C farfelle (bow tie) pasta
2-3 t lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
garlic salt to taste


Combine all in large stockpot, cover and cook over med-low for 45 minutes to hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment